Thursday 27 June 2013

Pasties & Cream in The Cornishman


On a recent trip down to Newlyn, I spent much of my time rifling through my parents’ book & magazine collection (which they are currently whittling down). I was pretty delighted to come across a copy of local newspaper The Cornishman from July 1971 in their shed, and was even more pleased to find an article about Brenda Wootton’s “Pasties And Cream” LP (SENS 1006). The Cornishman, of course, is depicted on the cover of the album, together with the Cornish delicacies after which the album is named.

One day I’ll get round to writing about this most renowned of Sentinel LPs myself, but for now I’ve reproduced the article here, together with some other relevant bits & pieces from the same edition, including an advert for a quite amazing week of shows at Penzance’s The Garden. See Queen (lest we forget, "Roger Taylor's group, formerly Smile") for 25p! Beggars belief, really...
 






6 comments:

  1. I have a 1967 recording on disc (shellac) with John Hassells label. There are no identifying marks on the disc or label. It is of a portion of the Leeds Triennial Musical Festival 1967 recorded at Leeds Parish Church for the BBC in '67. Is the original RTR tape still in existence? Will the recording carry any copyright? I would like to get it cleaned and digitised. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob. Thanks for your message. This is outside my area, I'm afraid, as this blog deals with music recorded in the South West. I'd hazard a guess that the original tapes are long gone, but maybe there's someone with connections to Leeds Parish Church who might know.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Harvey. I am that connection! We think it might be one of only a handful - given to the soloists on the recordings although my contemporary doesn't have a copy. I'll make enquiries locally. Many thanks anyway. ps. Is John Hassell stil alive??

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say what a lovely find this was! Job and Irene are my GREAT Aunt and Uncle, who we still see regularly. We live in Plymouth, but they still reside in Penzance. Job would be very happy to know that his life's work was still being written about today. Thank you for your posts's.
    Regards
    Daniel Walters (Veronica's grandson - Maria's Son - If that helps anyone understand who I am)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son joyas. gracias por compartir

    ReplyDelete